A collection of lists. Take the challenge. 100 things about yourself. Streaming flow of consciousness, as personal or as general as you care to make it...but make it count. You might learn something about yourself and I promise it's better than 20 questions!
1. I live on the coast in Georgia
2. I love walking out my front door being able to smell weather the tide is high or low
3. My mom is my best friend. I would choose her even if she wasn’t my mom.
4. I don’t know everyone on my facebook page because my husband tells his friends to add me since he doesn’t have a page of his own.
5. I love to write
6. I find cleaning therapeutic, when I am upset I have to clean something
7. This Christmas will be the first year my immediate family has all been together for the holidays since I was 17
8. I love to read books before I see the theatrical version even though I am disappointed by the silver screen adaptation nearly every time.
9. I am a geek for history, particularly WWII era.
10. Nonfiction human interest is my favorite genre for both books and movies.
11. I told my mom I was 5 I wanted to marry a boy from YMCA day camp. He was 11.I started dating that boy 13 years later. I married that man 2 1/2 years ago.
12. I love my husband more each day that passes.
13. The smell of fresh cut grass makes me incredibly happy.
14. When I went to my first civil war era reenactment in GA I was secretly terrified because I was a Yankee south of the Mason-Dixon. They take reenacting very seriously around these parts.
15. I love fishing.
16. I feel stronger for all the crap I have endured over the past several years of my life. It’s been a growing experience.
17. I am a Christian.
18. Getting hand written letters and cards in the mail makes my day, especially in today’s fast paced, instant gratification world. Someone took the time to write, stamp, address, and mail that piece of paper to me, I appreciate that.
19. I am a very nostalgic person.
20. I have been told by many people I have an old soul in a young body. I like to think I have an understanding of how history affects the present and future.
21. I love to sing and have a very musical background. I can read music and sing soprano. I have sung dozens of solos and performed in countless choirs. And yet, the idea of singing in a church choir still freaks me out.
22. I think my dad put it best when he told me “home is where your stuff is”
23. I hate shopping for jeans. Seriously, loath it. I have a 29 inch inseam. Even “petite” pants have a standard inseam of 30 inches.
24. I love the breath the moment just before a passion filled kiss. It’s slow, its tender, it’s a rush.
25. Rain boots make me happy. Yes, rain boots. They are so colorful and fun!
26. Cheese is pretty much the best food ever invented. I begged for The Cheese Bible for my birthday one year. My mom and dad found it for me even though it was and is out of print.
27. I was devastated when I realized I had to let go of my 1940’s Philco Radio/Record player console. There is NO sound in the world like a vinyl record being played. So many memories of sitting around the kitchen table with the radio turned on to the local AM oldies channel.
28. I think today’s generation of kids are completely spoiled and have zero work ethic. My children will hate me because they will know what work is and the value of a dollar.
29. As badly as I want to be a mother, I am secretly scared to death I will be a terrible parent and my kids will end up screwed up.
30. Too many people miss the music of nature. The ocean’s rhythm as it rolls in and out sooths my very soul. The sound of crickets at night, it’s like a mini symphony that often goes unnoticed.
31. A piece of my heart will always belong to Poland.
32. I get so frustrated because I have been unable to locate a bread that even remotely resembles the bread I had in Poland. I hear this is a common complaint from anyone who has ever visited the country.
33. Lion Bars are my favorite candy in the entire universe.
34. I love to quilt. I think it preserves a tiny sliver of history. The love and care that goes into each stitch is undeniable.
35. I am going to have to learn how to do container gardening this year as I no longer have a garden plot. But, I am very excited because I have a back yard and a patio that I can turn into my own personal garden jungle.
36. I am a totally sucker for romantic movies- The Notebook. I will watch it and cry time and time again. The Time Traveler’s Wife, same thing.
37. In January my husband and I visited GA. 10 months later we moved here from MN.
38. I find nature documentaries incredibly intriguing. The Planet Earth series were fascinating.
39. I have a house full of clocks. When I moved it was the one thing I absolutely, unequivocally refused to downsize. I have fond memories of my Great Uncle and his vast collection of clocks. Many of which he made himself or with the help of his wife.
40. I have two individual possessions I treasure above all others- a music box I got from my Grandma S.- my Grandpa S. gave it to her. She passed it on to me when he passed away. The other item is a silver dancing ballerina. My Grandma Z gave it to my Grandpa Z for Valentine’s Day in the late 1960’s/early 1970’s. They gave it to me just before we moved.
41. I cried harder than I have in years when I said goodbye to my grandparents before moving. It’s the first time I’ve lived more than 10 miles away from them in 22 years.
42. I find water to be very healing on many levels.
43. The most beautiful place I have ever stayed was at a resort in Mexico. And I am not talking about Cancun. My husband and I honeymooned deep into southern Mexico. The waters there are breathtaking. They are a color of teal I have never seen before. Life oozes from that place.
44. I love shared space. No conversation is needed, just a companion in a common area.
45. I sometimes wish I could play my thoughts on a screen.
46. I wish I could play my memories like a movie for others to see. I often wonder what details others would remember from the same events.
47. I sometimes feel like I was born in the wrong era.
48. It’s funny how making major life changes lets you know who your true friends are. Some will be supportive, others will completely cut you out of their life.
49. I have arthritis in both of my collar bones because I was so accident prone as a kid. I broke both my collar bones multiple times just being a kid- falling out of trees, diving out of carts, falling down stairs, sliding down the stairs in a laundry basket, and falling off the railing of the deck(for the record, I have much better balance on balance beams now).
50. I was convinced my birthday was cursed for years as a kid. Something bad often happened on my big day- one year I held my hand up high and told my brother to try and kick my hand, he did and broke my fingers. Another year I was swinging, jumped off and turned around- took the swing right in my eye. I had an awesome shiner for about a week. Another year, I went to my neighbors house to play catch- I missed the ball with my glove and caught it with my face. I had the worst bloody nose, thankfully it wasn’t broken.
51. Loose teeth freak me out to no end.
52. I don’t like to watch the local news- not because I don’t like to be informed, but because I don’t want to know about all the horrible things happening locally. Nationally I can deal with; I just don’t want to know if someone got shot a few blocks away.
53. Morgan Freeman makes me giddy. My husband makes fun of me to end because Morgan is old enough to be my grandfather.
54. Eric Bana also makes me happy. I tell my husband not worry, it’s just because he’s pretty. We have an agreement, I can find him attractive as long as I promise not to pursue him. I don’t foresee that being a problem…
55. I work in a craft store, I think it’s pretty much one of the best jobs on the face of the earth.
56. I am a total science geek. I like to know how things work. I am constantly amazed at the great things that God has made.
57. My wedding song was Etta James’s “At Last”
58. To my cat’s great dismay, I make my bed every single morning after I get up. He would prefer I leave it all jumbled up so he can make a cat nest in the covers.
59. My engagement ring was purchased with our winnings from pull tabs at a local pub. It was a good night for pull tabs my friends.
60. Going up into attics freaks me out because when I was a kid I wasn’t allowed in the attic because it was unfinished.
61. I want to go shrimping some day.
62. When I was a little girl I wanted to be a gymnast.
63. Thanks to my husband I dig movies from the 1980’s.
64. Gone with the Wind and Singing in the Rain are two of my favorite classic films.
65. I love my friends like family. I will defend them to the ends of the earth and expect the same in return.
66. I prefer carnations over roses every time.
67. I loath shoes. They are super cute, and I own many pairs. I just think they suck.
68. Southern Soul BBQ is my favorite Q joint hands down.
69. I have a physically demanding job pulling freight off the semi trucks. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
70. I am by nature an introvert. I have to make a conscious decision to be social most days. I have accepted this about myself.
71. I love to read. I don’t do it nearly as often as I’d like to.
72. I played the trumpet for 7 years in band. I loved it.
73. Sometimes I feel like a 12 year old girl trapped the body of a 25 year old woman.
74. I don’t actually think I am interesting enough for anyone to honestly care about my list of 100 random things about me. Seriously. I am so random.
75. I have been around so much glitter in the last 3 days at work I may be made up of 4% glitter now. Even after I shower I find glitter on my person.
76. I secretly find it charming when men stumble over words when they find me attractive. Who doesn’t enjoy a little flattery once in a while?
77. I love the idea of being caught in the rain during a summer rain. In reality, it sucks. It’s cold and wet. It leaves you feeling like a wet dog.
78. I wish my brain was wired to understand math better.
79. When I smell drying onion skins I associate it with the root cellar in my grandparents old house.
80. As an adult I appreciate my dad’s witty sense of humor far more than I did as a kid/teen.
81. I find it comforting to hear trains off in the distance. I’ve always lived close enough to hear the horns blow, it would be weird to not hear them anymore.
82. I can’t express how proud of my family members (inlaws included) who serve or have served our country.
83. As much as I appreciate the men and women who fight/fought for my freedom, I am very relieved my husband is not in the military. Military wives and husbands are stronger than anyone ever gives them credit for.
84. There is always time for one last grand adventure. Always.
85. I am super excited to make a 7 layer jello salad. I have never done it before, it looks like fun so I am gonna give it a whirl.
86. For years I’ve wanted to take a cake decorating course. I look longingly at the Wilton starter kits every time I go into work.
87. Some day I want to pick a cookbook and cook every single recipe in it.
88. I could beach comb every single day of my life and be content.
89. This summer my husband and I are going to rent metal detectors and play on the beach.
90. Right before Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 came out I watched movies 1-6 back to back. Greatest weekend ever.
91. Glee is my new guilty pleasure.
92. I very much want to see the Nutcracker ballet performed in the theater again. The last time I saw it I was about 13 years old.
93. I love hosting big, family holiday meals at my house.
94. I graduated summa cum laude and was 11th in my class of almost 200.
95. My husband used to call me Oscar when I was cranky.
96. When someone in our house needs and attitude change, we say they need to change their pants. This came from the terms “cranky pants” and “pissy pants”. If we are in public we simply say “pants.”
97. I know my husband looks like my dad, I don’t need to be reminded at every family function. Besides, I will still deny it to be true.
98. I desperately want a telescope so I can star gaze on a new level.
99. I think it’s sweet my cat thinks he’s a person. Not just a person, a nurse. Whenever we are sick he stays right with us until we are better.
100. I have been blessed beyond words by God who loves me and died for me.